Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Asterios Polyp

Just from looking at the cover and flipping through the pages I was instantly intrested in this books, the colors for one got me so excited but the way he drew the comic was beautiful. The variety of style and the simple ways of showing action in a still frame. Like when his wife is wafting smoke from her face, simple, priceless, and easy to read. I also really enjoyed the variety in the typography I found it to be beautiful as well and to really fit with the flow of the book it also really helped show the mood/feel he was trying to translate. I also really enjoyed the panel variation and page set ups it also really helped give this book a really nice rhythmic feel.
I kinda like the traumatic beginning to the story and the struggles that Asterios goes through, It so much can relate to anyone's everyday life. I know I could relate to his emotional rollercoaster. It really gives the character a super human feel, and really helps get you involved, and keeps me sucked in hoping that he will see blue skies again. throughout the book he struggles with almost a duality problem in everything that he encounters. Apollonian vs. Dionysian, destiny vs. free will, and nature vs. nurture, reason vs. emotion. Nothing can ever just be for him.